Here are a few recipes and tips for tasty meals. Remember to only eat the foods that are on your current diet!
Do's and Don't's for a Healthier Salad:
Beans: black beans, pinto beans, chickpeas - any type of bean will do. Keep several cans on hand and rinse and drain when ready to use.
Nuts: Toast whole walnuts, pecans, or almonds, then roughly chop and use just a tablespoon for added flavor and crunch.
Dried fruit: Just a tablespoon of dried cranberries, cherries, or other dried fruit will boost the flavor in your salad.
Fresh fruit: chop up an apple, peach, pineapple, or other fruit for color, texture, and sweetness.
Croutons: Even fat free croutons add empty calories.
High fat cheeses: They add unwanted fat and calories. When you're craving cheese, use just a tablespoon.
Purchased dressings: Most are full of preservatives and sodium. Make your own with different herbs and seasoning.
Sunflower seeds: They add 36 calories and 3 grams of fat per tablespoon.
Yummy Snack Bars
***(This recipe is good for our patients who are 4 months or more post surgery!)
PER SERVING: Calories: 200, Total Fat: 10g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 15mg, Sodium: 430mg, Carbs: 18g, Fiber: 0g, Sugar: 7g, Protien: 5g
2 (10oz) cans reduced fat crescent rolls
1lb. 1/3 less fat cream cheese
3/4 cup SPLENDA No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup SPLENDA No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Spreay a 9x13 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray. Open one can of crescent rolls and cover bottom of baking pan with the rolls.
3. Mix cream cheese, 3/4 cup SPLENDA Granulated sweetener, and the vanilla extract together in a small bowl. Mix until smooth. Spread mixture over crescent rolls in the backing pan, using a spatula. Top with remaining crescent rolls.
4. Mix together 1/4 cup SPLENDA Granulated sweetener and cinnamon. Sprinkle over the top of the bars.
5. Bake in preheated oven 20 - 25 minutes or until lightly brown. Cool and slice into 16 squares.
***(This recipe is good for our patients who are 8 weeks or more post surgery!)
PER SERVING: Calories: 276, Total Fat: 11g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 85mg, Sodium: 1821mg, Carbs: 11g, Fiber: 4g, Protien: 36g
1 tbs sea salt
3 tbs paprika
2 tbs garlic powder
2 tbs onion powder
1 tbs cayanne pepper
1 tbs coarselsy ground black pepper
1 tbs dried oregeno
1 tbs dried thyme
4 6oz tilapia fillets
2 tbs olive oil
In a shallow dish, mix salt, pepper, and remaining herbs & spices. Generously coat the tilapia fillets with spice mixture. Heat a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil. Cook fillets 3 minutes on each side, or until flesh is white and flaky.
Sticky Chicken Strips
***(This recipe is good for our patients who are 3 months or more post surgery!)
PER SERVING: Calories: 300, Total Fat: 5g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 130mg, Sodium: 1940mg, Carbs: 9g, Fiber: 0g, Protien: 49g
2lbs chicken breast tenderloins or strips
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 cup SPLENDA No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
1/4 cup white wine
1 pinch garlic powder, or to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Arrange chicken in a single layer in a baking dish. In a medium bowl combine water, soy sauce, SPLENDA Granulated Sweetener and wine. Pour over chicken and sprinkle with garlic powder.
3. Bake for 10 minutes in preheated oven until sauce is hot and bubbly.
4. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes, until sauce is thick and sticky, basting repeatedly.